Wearing a mask can prevent the spread of COVID-19 among other transmissible diseases, however this would only be possible if the mask is worn properly. We should all learn the proper way to wear a mask so we can effectively keep each other safe. Follow these tips to effectively wear a mask.
1. Before wearing a mask, we should wash our hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds so we do not get any germs on the mask. When we do touch the mask, it should only be on the elastic bands at the side. We should not touch the body of the mask, or the part that will go over our nose and mouth. This step is very important to keep the mask clean and free of germs.
2. The mask should cover the mouth and nose and should extend down to under the chin so it can fit closely in contact with the skin, creating a seal so air can only flow through the pores of the mask itself and not around the edges and corners of the mask. Masks with a nose wire is recommended so it can fit snugly around the bridge of the nose. If you use your hands to adjust the mask, remember to wash your hands before and after touching the mask.
3. Make sure the bands of the mask are not too tight that it would prevent you from breathing or talking or be uncomfortable in any way. You should be able to remain comfortable with the mask on.
4. If you are using a reusable mask, remember to wash the mask after each use and if you are using a disposable mask, remember to discard the mask after one use.
5. Avoid wearing masks with valves or vents that would allow air to escape unfiltered. Don’t share your mask with your friends or family. Always try to wear your mask when in public.
6. To remove the mask, wash your hands with soap and water and remove the mask by touching the elastic bands only. Discard the mask and wash your hands again.